Arkansas Post National Memorial

Enamored with fur trade history in the Great Lakes region, I leaped at the chance to write a Historic Resource Study for Arkansas Post National Memorial in Arkansas. In some ways the story was familiar terrain, but as one of the oldest European settlements in French Louisiana it was also exotic. I never imagined when I was in graduate school that I would one day be studying the exploits of seventeenth-century Frenchmen with poodle haircuts. That is one of the elements of my work I find most enjoyable: I am always being surprised at what I get to research next.

Arkansas Post in 1689
Arkansas Post has a very rich history. Built in 1686 by Henri de Tonty to serve as a trading post with the Quapaw, first the French and then the Spanish made it into a military post to gird their alliance with the Quapaw and other tribes. British and Chickasaw attacked the post at the end of the Revolutionary War. Americans joined the largely French community there after the Louisiana Purchase, after which it became the capital of the new Arkansas Territory. Southern Indians streamed through the place on the Trail of Tears in the 1830's. During the Civil War, the Confederates built a new fort there to prevent a Union advance on Little Rock. Union forces attacked the stronghold with an overwhelming superiority of numbers, making one of the largest captures of Rebel soldiers in the war. The hallowed ground became a state park in 1929 and a national memorial in 1964.